Thursday, April 26, 2012

Garlic Pork with Tomato and Basil

Pin It Now!
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes.  I think I could eat it every week.  I got this recipe from Cooking Light, April 2006.  As you will notice, many of my regulars originated with Cooking Light.  
This dish packs a spicy yet tangy bite that can only come from Sriracha.  I like to add a little extra in for that extra kick.  The recipe calls for pork tenderloin (which is the best type of meat for a stir fry), but I will also use pork chops or pork shoulder if I have that in the freezer.  I also double the quantity of tomatoes and the sauce in this recipe.  (Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I like this sauce.)  With doubling the tomatoes, I also have to add an additional teaspoon of cornstarch due to the extra juice produced by the tomatoes.  I usually eat this with a steaming bowl of sushi rice (which only took me three years to perfect) and Garlic Green Beans.  I will post that recipe soon.  

12 ounces pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons oyster sauce (doesn't taste fishy; kind or sweet; kind of salty; essential!)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
2 tsp. peanut oil (I use vegetable oil)
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic (I get a little garlic happy,and add more)
1 tsp. minced ginger (not originally in the recipe, but goes very well with pork)
2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 2 onions)


1.  Slice pork.
2.  Combine water, oyster sauce, sugar, Sriracha, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
3.  Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet (or Wok) over medium-high heat.  Add minced garlic, ginger, and pork.  Saute 3 minutes or until the pork is done.  
4.  Add chopped tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Saute 1 minute.  Add cornstarch mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened.  Add basil; stir to combine.  Remove from heat, and sprinkle with onions.  Serve with steamed rice.





2 comments:

  1. Della, this looks insanely easy. I don't usually have pork tenderloin, though. Have you tried it with other meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it with other meats, but I usually use whatever pork I have in the freezer. I think it would work with chicken or even tofu. I would saute the tofu first so it has a crispy crust.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments or suggestions here for other readers.