Sunday, December 9, 2012

Olive Cream Cheese Spread

Pin It Now!
In a much delayed update, I am back with more recipes.  I held my first cookie exchange recently, and made one of my favorite party foods.  I loved this appetizer long before I liked olives.  There is something about the interaction between the tanginess of cream cheese and the salty, brine flavor of olives that compliment each other and turn this into a favorite.  Many tasters have said they really like it, yet they didn't like olives.  I found this recipe in Southern Living's April 2007 issue.  Usually, I find something in a recipe to adjust, but this one stands as is.  Out of laziness or lack of time, I will eliminate the pecans and chives to serve a naked cheese log, but it is still just as good.  

Ingredients
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup finely chopped pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives

Directions

  1. Stir together the cream cheese, olives, and mayonnaise.  Shape cream cheese mixture into an 8 inch log.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.  It can be stored up to 2 days in an airtight container.
  2. In a shallow dish, combine pecans and chives.  Remove from plastic wrap, and roll the log in the pecan mixture just before serving.
  3. Add your favorite crackers and enjoy.

Tips
  • I like to use about 3/4 cups of chopped olives.
  • This is best if made the day before.  The flavors have more time to come together.
  • When rolling the log in the pecan mixture, I find that I have to press the pecans and chives into the log to get an even layer.


Picture from: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cream-cheese-olive-spread-10000001616855/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or suggestions here for other readers.