Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Brussel Sprouts Hash

Pin It Now!
To get to work, I am usually out of the house by 6:30 a.m.  With my already tight morning routine, I rush out the door with some oatmeal or guzzle down a bowl of cereal before leaving.  With breakfast at 6:30, I am definitely starving by lunchtime.  Now why don't I grab a snack you say? Well, between classroom management and teaching reading there is little time to snack, and as soon as I send the kids off to their PE class, it is time for lunch.  So, I have been on a scavenger hunt for healthy, hot breakfast and lunch ideas.  I stumbled across this Brussel Sprout Breakfast Hash at How Sweet It Is. This is definitely not a recipe I can whip up as I run out the door, but I can reheat it, and add an egg for a hearty, warm, and healthy breakfast, not to mention that I get in some extra vegetables.  

Ingredients
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup 1/2" cubed sweet potato
1 cup 1/2" cubed butternut squash
2 cloves of garlic, minced
10-12 brussel sprouts, stems removed and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 eggs

Procedures

  1. Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Add bacon; cook until crispy and the fat is rendered.  Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on a paper towel.  
  2. Reduce the heat and add onion to the pan with bacon grease.  Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.  Add sweet potatoes and butternut squash.  Stir to coat; add 1/2 chicken stock.  Cover and allow the stock to simmer cooking the sweet potatoes and butternut squash, about 6-8 minutes.  When potatoes and squash are tender, remove lid and add garlic and brussel sprouts.  Season with salt and pepper and allow the chicken stock to cook off, stirring the brussel sprout mixture occasionally.
  3. When the stock has cooked out and the brussel sprouts are tender, add the bacon back to the skillet and raise the heat to medium-high.  Brown the brussel sprout mixture, about 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Divide mixture into four servings and add a fried egg on top with a piece of toast.  Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.  

Notes:
  • I made this the Sunday evening before my work week started.  I cooked the recipe through step 3 and then refrigerated it.  I reheated the hash by putting one serving into a skillet at medium-high heat and warming it through.  This also restored the crunch to the bacon.  I removed the hash from the pan, added some butter, and fried my egg.  I then finished off step 4.
  • The original recipe only called for sweet potatoes, but I only had one very small one.  I did have the butternut squash which I used as well.  This could be made using only sweet potatoes or butternut squash.  
  • The original also didn't call for chicken broth.  I added that to help the sweet potato and butternut squash soften.  
Photo from: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/brussels-sprouts-breakfast-hash-for-dinner/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or suggestions here for other readers.