Sunday, May 20, 2012

Perfect Rice

Pin It Now!
After living in China, I have a preference for short grain rice which is only really found here in the form of sushi rice.  The traditional 2 cups water to 1 cup rice for long grain rice does not make me excited.  It has taken me several years to perfect making Asian rice.  I followed the directions on the bag, took my grandmother's advice, and researched the Internet.  I was about to give up on Asian rice until one Sunday evening at 7:30 pm.  I was watching Your Japanese Kitchen on NHK World and Harumi said to wash the rice.  It was that simple.  The texture is perfect.  The rice is firm and sticky, and it holds together very well on chopsticks and stands up to Asian sauces.

Makes 3 1-cup servings

1 cup short grain sushi rice
1 1/4 cups water

1.  In a deep bowl, place the rice.  Put in the sink and rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.  (I run the water and swish the rice around, and once the bowl is full I drain the water (not the rice) and start over.)
2.  Strain the rice in a sieve and allow to dry for about 15 minutes.  Place rice in a small sauce pan, pour in the water, put a lid on and bring to a boil (I like to use a glass lid so I can see when it begins to boil).  Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to low and allow to cook for about 10-12 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.  Turn off the heat and allow to steam for another 10-12 minutes (this is the key).  

Do NOT remove the lid during the cooking or steaming. (This is very important to perfect rice.)    

Rice picture borrowed from: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2008/May/21050801.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or suggestions here for other readers.